Sunday, January 17, 2010

Something old is new again

I had an outdoor table which was looking a bit shabby. As it has sentimental value, my younger daughter painted the tiles, I decided I would refresh it rather than replace. 1st steps were easy, remove tiles from old backing measure up the mount board, and have a new one cut.



If you have a local hardware store, they are usually more than happy to assist with awkward jobs such as cutting rather solid MDF board, as long as you purchase the whole sheet. Best part is you usually end up with extra pieces to use for other projects. I also needed a tube of glue for pasting the tiles, a small can of paint to freshen up the legs and some grout. Happily I discovered that grout now comes in small premixed tubes, and various shades of white, grey, black and multiple colours. Oh and joy of joys, they also have a wide variety of small spacers which one can use to make sure the tiles are evenly spaced. How easy is that?



The hardest part of this project was having to be patient in between the glue drying (recommended 48 hours) and applying the grout. It was so much fun, and the results so good, I will now have to encourage my daughter or someone to produce another set of tiles so I can make another one.

2 comments:

  1. Looks good! I wouldn't want to be doing any messy craft stuff on those beautiful tiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. theregatha, that is gorgeous. How are the legs painted? Is it a special outdoor paint?

    ReplyDelete

Followers