Monday, November 30, 2009

Waiting for inspiration

Look what I got... yes a very good friend, reading my blog about getting back into creating, promptly busted her stash and delivered me a series of silk painting trays, frames, books and even included a set of scarves to get me going. She is off to New York for the summer holidays, and I have the use of all her wonderful stuff while she is away. Only requirement, I send her updates of my progress. As is often the case, best laid plans are sure to go awry. For two days it rained and thundered and rained some more, so I was not able to even consider setting up. Then today, the sky was clear, the wind had stopped and every other thing I had listed to do for the day was quickly sorted, or reshuffled on the list.

Posted by Picasa
I set up on the front porch, fresh air, lots of open space good light, dyes ready and pot of tea at my side. Quick refresher from the 'how to section' of one of the books and oops, I realise that the gutta has not arrived. I had ordered some with other dyes late last week, but as can happen the post had not yet arrived.
Oh well, I can report I have begun. I have set up, I have gotten the workspace comfy, and I am sure by tomorrow I will have collected the final bits and pieces.
If not, then maybe I can jump straight to the more exotic processes like, wet on wet, salt tossing and marbling!!!!


  1. I'll look forward to seeing some pieces of painted silk.

  2. I am just about to go out and play. Realised that I dont need gutta to do lots of things. M suggested I try creating rivers and dams by crumpling.... and I can add salt, so hopefully some exciting pictures to show later today.....

  3. Congratulations! The setting up is often the slowest, most boring part. And we aren't going to complain about the rain!! Maybe I'll get inspired and try some creating. I seem to have lost my oomph at the moment, am blaming the fluctuating temperatures.

  4. So funny, I got over the hump, went out to do a little more and up sprang a lovely breeze!!!! Not giving in I tried to apply some dyes then salt.... well breeze got stronger as I went and I ended up with one very awful messy piece of silk and bits of coloured salt everywhere.
    Think I need to find alternate location, possibly inside... but I do like the idea of being in the fresh air and daylight.

  5. Actually, the salt probably won't work on very wet silk, it needs to just be damp. I wouldn't do the two techniques together.